SAGINAW COUNTY SPORTS HALL OF FAME
St. Andrew’s High School’s varsity football team was the
Valley Parochial League champion as well as the Class C
state champion three consecutive years (1947-49).
The Bulldogs raced to 27 consecutive victories over the
three-year span. The 1947 team was picked as statistically
the best team of all four classes that season in Michigan.
The 1947 and ’48 teams, coached by Frank Brogger,
outscored their opponents 646 to 93 using their famed
V-formation. The fast-striking Bulldog squad scored
13 touchdowns on their first play from scrimmage in
18 games those two years. In ’47, St. Andrew’s beat
Bay City St. Joe’s 21-19 to end that team’s 17-game
winning streak. In that same year they beat Flint
St. Michaels for that team’s only loss of the year.
For special measure they pounded rival SS. Peter & Paul,
51-0. 1948 scores: St. Andrew’s beat Jackson St. Johns,
18-6, Flint St. Michael, 20-0, Bay City St. James, 44-6, Saginaw St. Mary, 46-6, Saginaw St. Joseph, 47-7, Bay City St. Joseph,13-0, Detroit St. Martin, 26-7, Pontiac St. Michael, 37-12, and SS. Peter & Paul, 60-18. Frank’s brother, Joe, coached the team in 1949. The 1949 team amassed 332 points and allowed only 32. They beat Jackson St. Johns, 24-0, Flint St. Michael’s, 27-7, Bay City St. James, 38-0, Saginaw St. Mary’s, 12-0, Saginaw St. Joseph, 68-0, Bay City St. Joseph, 26-13, Beaverton, 47-0, Pontiac St. Michael, 52-6, and SS. Peter and Paul, 38-6. For their torrid three-year rein, St. Andy’s outscored its opponents 978 to 125. Halfback/fullback Pat Brady, a member of all three teams, received honorable mention All-America honors in 1949 by the Wigwam Wisemen of America as he scored 18 touchdowns and 13 PAT’s for 121 total points. The 27 consecutive victories was the second-longest string in state history at the time. Al Brady and Jim McColgan captained the 1947 team, with Jack Carlson and Jack Abbott captaining the ’48 squad. The 1949 captains were Dewey Schultz and Ken Floerke
ST. ANDREWS FOOTBALL TEAMS (1947 - 1948 - 1949)
CLASS OF 2005